Re: wxwidgets 2.8 needs help !

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 09:00:00PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 02:45:25AM +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> > Scribit Roberto C. Sánchez dies 04/10/2007 hora 18:13:
> > > Yes, though for a good [1] reason.
> >
> > Sure, wxwidgets has numerous bugs, but is it that surprising for a
> > library package that much used? (i.e. would such a backlog of bugs
> > prevent any other library packager to upload a new upstream into
> > Debian?)
> >
> I'm not sure.  Nobody uses the only library I package :-)
>
> > > It is not really a question of building or packaging it.  That, as you
> > > realize is quite easy.  The problem is wxwidgets' dozens of reverse
> > > dependencies.
> >
> > Shouldn't then the package be uploaded to experimental for interactions
> > with the reverse dependencies to be checked?
> >
> I think that would be an acceptable course of action.  I intend in the
> coming weeks to help Ron do that as I myself am doing some development
> of my own and would like to see wx2.8 packaged and in Debian as it would
> make my life easier.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto

So what about that? 2.8 is around since almost 1 year, and this delay
is not justifiable IMHO. There are now tons of developers and
maintainers that need to build against 2.8, and I doubt a transition
plan from 2.6 has sense due to API and behaviors changes. We have
simply to cope with two different versions, as already happens
for other libraries.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine