Re: Long-term mass bug filing for crossbuild support

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 09:43:34 -0800
Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:
> > Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >> This is a bad suggestion and was apparently made without referring to
> >> the existing Debian instructions for how to handle packages that use
> >> Autoconf and friends.
>
> > Your assumption is wrong, I'm afraid. For one reason or another, I spend
> > a lot of time in the autofoo documentation. Must be crazy, yes, yes....
>
> Well, then I'm even more mystified as to why you contradicted those
> instructions and told people not to pass --build to configure for
> non-cross-compile builds.

So it is preferable for me to add --build to native builds even in a
patch that is meant to only affect the cross build? I'm sure some
maintainers will query why I'm setting --build outside the crossbuild.

If that is how it is to be done then that is OK with me - I was just
trying to keep the patch to the basic cross build requirements.

After all, I see a mass bug filing as almost an NMU on each package -
change as little as necessary.

> > Actually, /usr/share/doc/autotools-dev/README.Debian.gz differs from
> > that by specifying $(confflags) instead of SYSTEM and using 'export'.
>
> Sorry, you're entirely correct, and I shouldn't paste from one of my
> packages instead of from the actual documentation.  (And I should go add
> export, as that was there for a reason.  Mea culpa.)

No problem. What is the reason for 'export' ?

--

Neil Williams