Re: Long-term mass bug filing for crossbuild support

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 09:07:54PM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:

> Hadn't this been fixed quite some time ago ? Or wasn't it something with
> --target ? Because I've been using --build and --host for a long time
> with no problem.

The autoconf docs say(*):

`--host=HOST-TYPE'
	[...] Specifying it enables the cross-compilation mode.

It does not matter if the argument of --host equals the argument of
--build; you're still cross-compiling as far as autoconf/automake is
concerned.

Maybe you're mixing it with a different issue, involving the same
parameters:

	For historical reasons, passing `--host' also changes the build
	type.  Therefore, whenever you specify `--host', be sure to
	specify `--build' too. This will be fixed in the future.

Gabor

(*) If someone thinks "boo, but the autoconf docs are non-free", NEWS.gz
also contains:

  Emphasizes that `cross-compilation' == `--host is given'.

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences