Re: Consistent handling of the DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 22:08:40 +0100
Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov  6, 2007 at 20:54:29 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:37:56 -0500
> > Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > > And things shouldn't be "must" in policy unless they're intended to be RC
> > > bugs.  I don't see how this would ever make sense to be a "must".
> >
> > Why? Any test suite that runs compiled binaries must be completely
> > disabled for cross-compiling and there are few test suites that would
> > not be disabled under such a rule. Are you saying that cross compiling
> > alone is not sufficiently important to be the cause of a *must* in
> > Policy?
> >
> Yes.

Why?

Which other Debian projects are excluded from having such effects on
Policy?

This is just the first set of changes to make Debian easier for
cross-compiling. Are you saying that the mere fact that these changes
originate from a desire to cross-build Debian automatically invalidates
any request to fix issues with Debian Policy?

This is a default of "on", Debian is completely unaffected if this
option is mandated to be supported to turn it off.

--

Neil Williams