Re: Building packages with exact binary matches

Martin Uecker <muecker@gmx.de> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 06:33:40PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >         Ah, security through blissful ignorance :) You do not
> >  actually trust the archive, or the developers, you trust the
> >  silence.
>
> I trust special relativity, because nobody has disproven it yet.

Really? I trust the theory of special relativity because there is
enormous evidence supporting it, and little evidence against it.

In the case of "there are no messages, therefore I trust the security
of the system", that's faith — belief in spite of an utter lack of
evidence.

> Do you think this is blissfull ignorance, too?

Worse, it's foolish.

In the lack of *any* evidence either way on a question, it's foolish
to hold any position but "unknown"; and, if the question is important
for a matter of trust, it's imperative to *get* some evidence before
extending any trust.

--
 \      "A society that will trade a little liberty for a little order |
  `\     will lose both, and deserve neither." —Thomas Jefferson, in a |