Re: Packages with RFCs deleted

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 07:05:08AM +0000, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 08:50:04PM -0500, Peter Samuelson a écrit :
> >
> > We're pretty much at an impasse, then, so I don't think I'll reply
> > after this message.  I, and many Debian folks, don't quite understand
> > the essential difference, between functional source code and
> > non-functional documents[*], that make the DFSG freedoms only important
> > for the one and not the other.  I mean, if I might want to freely make
> > derivative works of software, well, maybe I want to freely make
> > derivative works of spec documents too.  For many of the same reasons,
> > in fact.
>
> On the other hand, does the effort of removing these documents from the
> upstream sources has any chance to make things change in the future, by
> either having the IETF freeing the RFCs, or volunteers paraphrasing free
> versions of them? I can understand how OpenOffice is more free than
> Microsoft Office, but not how a source package with the RFCs deleted is
> more free than the original one...

  It is more free: what is in main should be completely modifiable by a
user (or in that case a developper wanting to fork/make something
better/...whatever). We commit ourselves to this fact, so each time we
find a usual category of non free material shipped in the source
packages, we remove them to stick to our values. That's all.

> This said, it does not make a big difference, apart from the packager's
> time... But would I be asked to expurge one of my package, I would
> probably consider moving it in non-free instead.

  This is the most stupid thing ever. I often have RFC's or non-free
doc's in the repositories of my projects because it's handy.  The fact
that as an upstream I'm too lazy to remove a few RFC docs that aren't
use by the software should not have as a consequence that my software
goes in non-free. With your argument, gcc would be in non-free right
now...

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit