Re: Debian's Linux kernel continues to regress on freedom

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 02:07:55PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> What about adding clarifications, what about summarising parts of the RFC?

You don't need a free license to do either of those things, though, which
is part of the reason why...

> It's more about the freedom to fix things or to use things than it is to
> make it buggy... It's also not only about Debian, but in fact more about
> the freedom of our users to modify RFCs...

...modifying RFCs isn't a freedom most people value even slightly. Which
is fine -- we distribute a bunch of stuff that doesn't have that freedom
to people who appreciate having it packaged anyway -- that's one of the
reasons we have non-free.

If making RFCs available via non-free is awkward, or we're worried adding
more interesting stuff to non-free might encourage people to use other
non-free stuff they wouldn't otherwise, those are technical problems
we can fix by improving our packaging tools and making non-free more
fine-grained respectively.

What's the value in continuing to debate this topic? [0]

Cheers,
aj

[0] Well, other than giving us an excuse to call each other wackos
    and morons, of course...