Re: best way to check for an active X session from a maintainer script?

Hi Steve,

no need to Cc: me, I read d-d ;-)

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 02:52:49 +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 02:17:28AM +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
>> Nothing changed:
[...]
>> My X session is started from xdm which launch SBCL [1] from a shell
>> script to start StumpWM [2].
>
> Do you have xutils or sessreg installed on this system?

Neither of the two [I hope the English expression is correct].

> Have you modified /etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup,

IIRC no.

> or have you removed the "use-sessreg" option from
> /etc/X11/xdm/xdm.options?

No.

>> But without the awk part works:
[...]
> But this only shows "logins" associated with xterms that have been
> launched from within the X session, not the X session itself.

/me needs to sleep a bit more...

> Whereas the false negative here is when the user is running xdm (wdm
> and kdm are not subject to this), didn't install the 'xorg'
> metapackage, doesn't have xutils installed for any other reason,

Yes, this is my case!

> and blindly confirms the "restart these services" list without
> considering the consequences.

Well, I'd say that someone who is in my case shouldn't blindly
confirms debconf questions (which I don't do).

> YMMV, but I think it's acceptable to let the user's session get
> creamed in this case, given that the alternative would be to leave
> some users unable to log in to xdm after the upgrade because their
> admin wasn't paying attention.

After your explanation, fully ACK.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca