Re: best way to check for an active X session from a maintainer script?

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 08:38:35AM +0100, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

>> Can't gdm and similar be "scheduled" for a reload instead of actually
>> forced into an immediate reload?
>
> As you pointed out, gdm *does* have a nice reloading functionality.
> IIRC, restart also does a graceful restart (only scheduling a restart).
> The problem is that pam postinst does stop & start instead or restart...
> I got this recently, and it was *very* annoying, especially because the
> apt-get upgrade was done in the X session, and was just killed by the
> gdm stop.

This is (IMO) a rather tiresome bug in *all* of the X display
managers.  It would be nice if the daemon and user session were
entirely separate, so that restarting (or even killing) the daemon
would leave the user session intact.

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh