Re: virtualbox-ose: package hijack?

Am Mittwoch, 5. September 2007 11:39:42 schrieb Daniel Baumann:
> I did about 90% of the inital packaging.
I removed one line from the changelog.. sorry for this. I'll readd it
within the next upload.

> Patrick uploaded removed me from changelog in the two last uploads
> (virtualbox 1.4.0svn4130-dfsg-1 and virtualbox-ose 1.4.0svn4130-dfsg-1
> that is) without notifying me. In all previous uploads to NEW, I was in
> the co-maintainer.
There were only one upload to NEW with you as co-maintainer. This was the
upload right after debconf.

After this nothing happened at all.
I started to check in the dfsg- tarball and you remove it again from the
svn... who should a team work on a package if they doesn't use the same
tarball at all?

After some weeks were silence and nothing happens. I decided to close *my*
ITP (there were 3 ITPs for virtualbox... one was mine), without the team
maintainance on alioth since the removal of the dfsg tarball shows me
another time that this has no sense so.

I spoke with you about the removal, but you doesn't listen to me at all. So
sorry, I started to work further at it with a new team.

> > To me this is clearly a hijack and I'd like to see a very valid
> > reasoning for this behaviour.

See above. You showed me several times that you wasn't able to team -
maintain this package. You doesn't listened to me if I try to speak with
you about this issue in IRC. Both ITPs were over a half year old... much
time to finish this work.

> I was removed unjustified from uploaders and just fixed that inital
> error from Patrick.

See above... this wasn't an error.
We spoke yesterday (Sunday) about this issue in IRC and you ask me if you
are allowed to reupload the 1.4.0 version with som minor fixes.
I told you that I have against this strong objections.

For people who can read german here a (small) part from the chat:
----
09:12:56       panthera | wie ich sehe, hast du mich aus vbox entfernt.
hast du was dagegen, wenn ich mich als uploader reinsetze und ein paar
dinge poliere in 1.4.0svn4130-dfsg-2?
09:52:34         winnie | ja..
[ ... removed some stuff ... ]
10:38:30       panthera | gut, dann lade ich morgen abend -2 hoch.
10:38:59            winnie | nein.
Day changed to 04 Sep 2007
[ ... ]
----

> > Uh, ouch, shouldn't be there, right? That's why I CC ftpmasters. Work
> > is underway to create a valid 1.5.0 package, but there's a reason why
> > we first fixed stuff in the 1.4.0 version. Since this may take another
> > day or two, I wonder whether out admins would like to react and
> > remover this version asap.
>
> As both me and also Patrick are in contact with upstream, this is a
> pending issue solved in hopefully short time.

Sorry... I didn't see you in the vbox-devel channel over a loooong time
period. At least: This issue is already fixed. I regulary speak with the
upstream authors. But non the less this have to be fixed in debian too.
I prepared an correct tarball which could be uploaded right after this one
is removed.

Please do not upload any "corrected" version.

> Upstream is generally cooperative and understands the problems, hence I
> see this a bit more relaxed (for the next few days only, until it's
> sorted out). However, if ftp-master do disagree, I'll can re-upload
> 1.4.0, superseeding the 1.5.0 upload.

See above.

In my eyes this is clearly a hijack of the package. We both had ITPs for
this package and you doesn't act for a long time. If I haven't uploaded it
last week, I'm sure that nothing would have happened.
I'll readd this entry to the changelog, yes. But I think a group
maintaining with us both in this group would fail, since I reallly like to
communicate everything quite intensive.

Greetings
Patrick

--