Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian

Julien BLACHE <jblache <at> debian.org> writes:

> I think you need at least an Intel HDA card to reproduce that problem,
> as it's probably the driver that presents something weird to the
> lib. Might even need a MacBook with the same setup :|
>
> I'll see on another machine if the ALSA plugin behaves better.

Yes, we have received reports about problems with the intel HDA driver in ALSA
and audacious. I think it's because per Takashi Iwai, we removed the "mmap mode"
from our plugin, but as I do not use ALSA anymore I can't honestly say what the
problem is, as I do not know for certain.

> Still using OSS ? :)

If by OSS you mean that crappy OSS/Free, then no.

I use the recently open sourced OSS4, created by the guys who ironically
sponsored XMMS development. The reason being is that ALSA has never really
worked well for my hardware (in any application, including XMMS), and OSS4
supports my current hardware while ALSA's support is still unimplemented
(Soundblaster XFi).

If you're having issues with ALSA, I strongly recommend giving OSS4 a go, it
works very well (although some people with political interests over technical
ones are probably likely to disagree).

You can find out more information at http://developer.opensound.com if you're
interested in it.

> I'll try to take a closer look at the problem if I can find some time
> to do so.

Ok, I'm sure they would indeed be happy to look into your problem. Reviewing IRC
logs it looks like at least Chainsaw is interested in it.

> Can't be worse than -devel ;)

If you say so. Well, actually, it's very similar. Probably because everyone
feels that they are doing what is best for Audacious, even if it's perhaps not.

William