Re: /bin/sh diversions

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 07:11:52PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>> On Aug 01, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
>> > It being the smallest and fastest one doesn't really help if you're in a
>> > tight environment where you want only one shell to be installed, and you
>> > want to use a different one from whatever Debian chose because of other
>> > reasons.
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 79956 Jul 21 12:24 /bin/dash*
>>
>> If 80 KB are a concern then I think you have way more problems than
>> wasting disk space because two different POSIX shells are installed.
>
> There are embedded environments where 80KB is a concern. We're not at
> the level yet where we can reasonably support such environments, but
> there are people who are trying to change that, and I don't think we
> should make it harder for them by setting things up in a way that isn't
> strictly necessary, but is the easy way out.

Oh come on. When you build such an environment you have to build a new
debian architecture for all the slimmed down packages. If you do that
is is easy enough to have a different package provide /bin/sh. Not to
mention those environments will be far happier with dash than bash.

So I don't see that as an argument at all.

MfG
        Goswin