Re: /bin/sh diversions

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 01:15:38PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 10:13:38PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 06:54:49AM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > > diversions are far from being atomic.
> > True, but it is persistent across upgrades and doesn't require any
> > particular support from the package.

> Is it a bug (or a missing feature) that diversions aren't atomic?

Maybe, but I'm not sure it can be fixed without the declarative diversions
that were mentioned on the list a bit back?

> The --rename option to dpkg-divert means it can be done atomically if
> dpkg-divert is clever enough, at least in all the ways that count.

This only lets you move /bin/sh to /bin/sh.frisbee as an atomic operation.
It doesn't let you create the new /bin/sh at the same time, that only
happens when the package is unpacked, which happens much later than the
preinst.