Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Joey Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> writes:
>
> > Shouldn't we then remove recommends entirely and turn them into
> > regular Depends?
>
> The sometime 'soft dependencies' called feature of Recommends and
> Suggests is something which makes Debian unique compared to other
> distributions. It would be sad to loose this.

Don't we lose it already on October 1st when apt-get installs all
Recommends per default?  It's ok for high-level tools like aptitude
and Synaptic to behave that way, but I'm not exactly happy for
apt-get to go that way.

At the moment, we who have read Michael's announcement, know how to
get the old behaviour back (althouth apt-get complained about the
line he provided), but soon nobody will remember.  Then I wonder if
this feature you praise is lost.

Regards,

	Joey

--
The only stupid question is the unasked one.