Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

> I've read that but I didn't take it into account because people google for
> docs and they will find documentation recommending apt-get (they usually won't
> notice if the doc is recent or not). Furthermore, there's also the fact
> that on user forums there are people who will still be recommending
> apt-get as it's what they are using.
>
> So you might be right on your first assertion, but I don't agree with your
> conclusion "If doc is the only problem, then it's not a problem".

When aptitude came out, we've been told that aptitude was the real apt
frontend that apt-get was never meant to be to begin with (apt-get
being only a debug/devel tool for libapt) and that it was the tool to
use from now on for everybody except maybe for advanced users who will
probably stick with apt-get.

Either this hasn't got enough publicity, or people decided to stick
with apt-get because aptitude didn't cut it.

The former case is easy enough to fix before October 1st; the latter
might not be that easy to fix, depending on the reasons behind the
dislike for aptitude.

Now, from the Debian users I know around me, I can tell you that none
of them like aptitude, and they especially dislike the "install
recommends by default" so-called "feature".

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer - <jblache@debian.org>

 Public key available on <http://www.jblache.org> - KeyID: F5D6 5169