Re: /bin/sh diversions

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 12:53:03PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Aug 2007, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> > Henrique de Moraes Holschuh dixit:
> > >There is just too much crap out there that thinks /bin/sh is bash.
> >
> > Not in Debian ??? /bin/sh scripts must be POSIX compliant and not use
>
> No, not in Debian.
>
> But in practice, if many people can't change that away from bash because all
> sort of *broken* local scripts, and 3rd-party scripts croak, you gain
> little.
>
> OTOH, specifically using something else than /bin/sh for a fast
> POSIX-with-the-extensions-Debian-mandates shell (i.e. forget posh, but dash
> is good) does NOT need /bin/sh to point to it, so it can't trip on such
> issues caused by external factors outside of Debian's control.

  Afaict ubuntu did the change, and the sky didn't fell apart.

  And wrt scripts out there, there is 2 kinds of scripts:
  * the old one that are written by people on obsolete platforms where
    the de facto standard was a local ksh shell, and we can expect those
    to work properly on dash.
  * the one unclever users have written with /bin/sh pointing to
    /bin/bash. For them, it's easy, just don't change /bin/sh on dash on
    upgrades. Do that only for new installations. And for them, the fix
    is quite easy, they still can use #!/bin/bash.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit