Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

On 15-Jul-07, 14:17 (CDT), Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> Le dimanche 15 juillet 2007 ? 11:24 -0500, Manoj Srivastava a ?crit :
> >         This sounds fairly combative; and it also begins to sound
> >  divisive (the GNOME people, keepers of usability, vs all the useless
> >  users who do not use desktop systems). I hope I am misreading the
> >  attitude.
>
> This is your own interpretation. I understand from the discussion that
> some people are strongly opposed to the changes that are required to
> make the Debian menu more usable.

The problem is your idea of "more usable" is, to me, "remove valuable
functionality".

Yes, the menu hierarchy could use some work. Yes, it might be better if
not every shell and console text editor had a menu entry, or if they
were buried under the "Obscure Console Apps" sub-head.

But that's got nothing to do with format of the menu entries. You're
going to have to decide policy for that kind of stuff no matter what
format you choose. And *right now*, there is a lot more support for the
Debian menu format that the freedesktop.org format.

And for the record, I'm someone who is generally in favor of the
direction GNOME chose. But I think that rather than trashing the Debian
menu system, it might be the better choice for GNOME (in Debian), to
ignore/disable the Debian menu by default.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net