Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian

Don Armstrong <don <at> debian.org> writes:

> Like it or not, bug reports are a part of software development that we
> all have to deal with. Suggesting announcements or text for such a
> transition may help, but at the end of the day distributions are going
> to switch as projects mature or decay. Complaining about the
> transition occuring isn't going to resolve your concern.

If you think I am complaining about debian transitioning from xmms to
audacious, I am not. I like bug reports /that have merit/. Simple
comparisons to XMMS do not provide such merit.

I am complaining about developer time being wasted by xmms zealots
which will likely harass us on our tracker.

> Users shouldn't be able to dictate to you how the project works; they
> don't do the development. In Debian's case, refer these users to our
> bug tracking system (as all of our documentation refers users.)

Then debian will resolve their complaints locally using patches, which
means we will likely have to adopt the position of not providing any
upstream support to debian. I would like to avoid that, but if debian
patches audacious to make it work like XMMS, then we would have no
choice but to reject bugs reported to us using the debian patched
binaries.

As an example, what Debian ships as 'xmms' is quite different than what
you normally get in the CVS of XMMS. I would like to see that not happen
to audacious.

William