Re: Targeting RPM and Debian from a Debian box?

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Russ Allbery wrote:

Christian Convey <christian.convey@gmail.com> writes:

My development workstation is running Debian, and I'd like to produce
both .deb and .rpm releases of my software.

Is this something people normally do from the same Debian workstation,
or do they typically fire up a RedHat system to do their .rpm creation,
and use a Debian workstation to do their .deb creation?

You'll have to use the appropriate OS to build packages for that OS.
Debian requires this as well in order to get things like shared library
dependencies right, to satisfy Build-Depends, and so forth.  It makes
sense that RPM has the same issues.

I don't build RPMs any more, but you should be able to build them just fine inside a chroot. Look at the schroot package if you want to do it as a normal user.

You will still want an install of each distro you want to build/test packages for, although some things built for one distro may work fine on another.

Ivan