RFC: declaritive diversions

Ian and I have chatted a few times about diversions in packages. It
seems like it would be easier to look for packages that should divert
(and don't), or do (and perhaps shouldn't :)) if the diversions were
declared in the package rather than being done by turing complete
code :).

This is a long-promised email to kick start discussion about this.

I don't have a proposed syntax at this point, but I was thinking a
control file in the source such as debian/PACKAGENAME.diversions would
be a good starting point - if thats able to record everything thats
needed, even if the binaries stay as they are (doing diversions in the
maintainer scripts) for now for compatibility this would improve things.

-Rob