Re: Dependencies on shared libs, take 2

Hi,

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le dimanche 17 juin 2007 à 15:00 +0100, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> > - we have different levels of check that can make dpkg-gensymbols fail
> >   (with option -c<level>). By default level 1 is activated, it will fail
> >   if some symbols disappeared. Level 2 will also fail if new symbols are
> >   introduced without prior update of the debian/symbols file. Level 3 and 4
> >   introduce additional checks about new/disappearing libraries in the
> >   package.
>
> I still don't understand why you insist on making level 1 the default.
> The symbols file *must* be updated when new symbols or libraries are
> introduced, which means level at least 3 must be the default.

The generated file is updated... and the file in the source package
doesn't need to be updated so often. Additionnaly you can avoid having to
rebuild once knowing that it will fail... let the build update the
generated file, get the diff from the build log and commit it in your
repository so that it will be used for the next upload.

If your build is rather large, it can make sense.

That said maybe the ordering of checks need to adapted so that for example
a library that disappear also result in a failed build by default. I have
no firm opinion on that. But I believe that the addition of a symbol or
the addition of new lib doesn't have to generate a failure directly. Of
course, the build log will still give a diff because there's a difference
between what's provided and what's generated. And that diff can be
extracted and applied later on.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog