Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 11:24:08 -0500, Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> said:

> On 09-Jun-07, 04:30 (CDT), Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:
>> My point is that it is useful to know what major release of Debian a
>> machine is using,

> My point is the only reliable way to determine that is via
> /etc/apt/sources and /etc/apt/preferences, not to mention
> /var/lib/dpkg/status (because packages might be on hold).

        You are assuming that the contents of /etc/apt/sources and
 /etc/apt/preferences are fairly static.  That is an asumptio0n that
 does not hold true at least for my laptop, where the sources and
 preferences change a log when I travel (which is fairly often).

        Parsing today's sources would lead you to assume I only do
 security up0dates, and would have no bearing on the versions of
 packages on my system (which come from local Sid partial mirror, not in
 my sources.list file today).

        manoj
--
"Don't get married.  Find a woman you hate and buy her a house." anon