Re: Dependencies on shared libs, take 2

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 19:15:22 +0200, Bernhard R Link <brlink@debian.org> said:

> * Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> [070607 18:04]:
>> > Reality is that this build must fail with a proper warning, so that
>> > the maintainer can decide if this is an excption and ok or whether
>> > he should cluebat upstream about a what soname means.
>> >
>> Reality is that libs export private symbols (not part of the API, and
>> not used by anything), and a private symbol disappearing shouldn't
>> force a SONAME change.

> Having a private symbol before was already a bug that the Debian
> mantainer should have caught.

        This appears to be significantly different from the expectations
 people have of developers -- I recall being told in no uncertain terms
 that developers should not be expected to even know the language of the
 packages they are packaging, far less understand what are “symbols” and
 how to distinguish private ones from public ones, and how to version
 them.

        manoj
--
The executioner is, I hear, very expert, and my neck is very
slender. Anne Boleyn