Re: APT 0.7 for sid

#include <hallo.h>
* Russ Allbery [Wed, Jun 06 2007, 08:40:47PM]:

> > Is this the same dependency resolver that tries to remove half your
> > packages as a result of the most minor package removal?
>
> No, that's not done by the dependency resolver.  That's done by the code
> that removes packages that you never told it should be installed.
>
> This problem goes away completely if you only use aptitude-aware tools to
> install packages.  It's basically a transition issue.  (I do agree that
> the transition could be improved.)

<bitching>
Why do you think that aptitude is perfect? I can remember a not so nice
evening few months ago when aptitude (on Ubuntu) tried to remove half of
the distro when installing simple packages. The reason was the forgotton
source line for the previous release in sources.list - but still, it
should cope with that and not wreak random havoc.
</bitching>

Eduard.

--
Wenn der Pöbel aller Sorte tanzet um die goldnen Kälber, halte fest:
Du hast vom Leben doch am Ende nur dich selber.