Re: Dependencies on shared libs, take 2

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2007, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > We could then have the package field contain multiple packages (separated
> > by "," or "|" or whatever) and have dpkg-shlibdeps generate pkg1 (>=
> > min-ver) | pkg2 (>= min-ver).
>
>  I don't think so; at least sometimes you want to depend on
>  non-versionned packages, such as virtual provides for ABIs and such.
>  For example libnotify1.shlibs:
>     libnotify 1 libnotify1 (>= 0.4.4), libnotify1-gtk2.10

This case is not a real concern. The symbol information would be used to
generate the minimal dependency corresponding to "libnotify1 (>= 0.4.4)"
and the "libnotify1-gtk2.10" dependency would be put in the "additional
dependencies" field at the package level.

(This presupposes the enhanced format that I described earlier in this
thread)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog