Re: Reasonable maximum package size ?

On ti, 2007-06-05 at 10:37 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> We also have some funny 3D games with huge data packages.  So
> were is the borderline for this.  Does it make sense to install
> a data repository that is not mirrored?

I suggest that it makes sense to a) package the data as .debs, for
easier management, b) not have it on the normal mirror network, and c)
use BitTorrent instead of (or in addition to) plain http. There is a
Google Summer of Code project in Debian this year to implement the
BitTorrent part, which might be ideal for the last part.

Having a data.debian.org to act as the master repository for such
packages would take care of the second part. It may require some setting
up of dak in difficult ways.

We already know how to do the first part.

--
I'm a Luddite with neophilia