Re: Dependencies on shared libs, take 2

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 04 juin 2007 à 12:27 +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> > 2/ dpkg-shlibdeps does follow executable -> library -> package ->
> > /var/lib/dpkg/info/<package>.{shlibs,symbols} to find out the
> > dependencies. However with udebs the step "library -> package" can't be
> > done with "dpkg --search" (it's currently done this way by dpkg-shlibdeps).
>
> Why couldn't the package -> udeb mapping, which is currently done in
> the .shlibs file, be done in the .symbols file ?

Hum, right. It could. I'm not sure I like it though.

Having to maintain one set of symbols is complicated enough that having
two set of symbols in the same file is probably not desirable. We could
decide to add a new field containing the udeb name (if there's any) but
then udeb are udebs precisely because they are minimal and probably
compiled with different options than the main lib so that sharing the set
of symbols is probably not the good choice.

We could create a .symbols-udeb however... we just need to scan the
udeb during build and put the resulting symbols file in the main library.
That wouldn't be too difficult to do. We can probably keep this as
extension for the future. :)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog