Re: discussion with the FSF: GPLv3, GFDL, Nexenta

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007, Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
> If I'm in the Netherlands and distribute
> CDDL software to a Belgian citizen while violating the CDDL, the
> copyright holder has to come to the Netherlands, choice-of-venue
> (mostly) notwithstanding.

From the summary:

   If the parties, one or more of whom is domiciled in the Community,
   have concluded a choice of jurisdiction clause * , the agreed court
   will have jurisdiction. The Regulation lays down a number of
   formalities that must be observed in such choice of jurisdiction
   agreements: the agreement must be in writing, or in a form which
   accords with practices which the parties have established between
   themselves or, in international trade or commerce, in a form which
   accords with a usage of which the parties are aware.

 * "Choice of jurisdiction" is a general principle of private
 international law under which the parties to a contract are free to
 designate a court to rule on any disputes even though that court
 might not have had jurisdiction on the basis of the factors
 objectively connecting the contract with a particular place.

Don Armstrong

--
Dropping non-free would set us back at least, what, 300 packages? It'd
take MONTHS to make up the difference, and meanwhile Debian users will

And what about SHAREHOLDER VALUE?
 -- Matt Zimmerman in <gYuD3D.A.ayC.nGB39@murphy>