Re: discussion with the FSF: GPLv3, GFDL, Nexenta

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 02:45 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> What I was trying to show is that the relevance of a copyright case
> brought against you in a jurisdiction outside of your immediate concern
> is zero, for all practical matters; that means you can simply ignore it,
> and nothing Bad will happen. Therefore, I don't think it makes it
> anything even remotely representing non-freeness.

This is not true.  There is such a thing as "comity", in which those who
have won judgments in one court can get another court to recognize the
judgment and compel payment.

This happens in international contexts, even without a treaty.  For
example, if a French court issues a judgment against a US citizen, a US
court will at least seriously consider giving effect to the judgment.
And this happens *without* anything like retrying the case.

In federal states, such as the US, this is particularly serious, because
the federal constitution *compels* states to give effect to each other's
court judgments.

Thomas