Re: Why not move Apt to a relational database

Le dimanche 03 juin 2007 à 21:17 +0200, sean finney a écrit :
> and if you read the dpkg devel thread that spawned this (don't think it was
> referenced yet in this thread, but it has been referenced the last time or
> two dpkg has been brought up on -devel), you'll see that i'm not particularly
> attached to sqlite3 as "the format"--i'm more pushing for the concept of
> abstracting/outsourcing the data representation/retrieval/storage from the
> handling thereof.
>
> that said, i think that sqlite3 would be a pretty good candidate if we were to
> go with anything other than plaintext.

Even if SQLite is more robust than Berkeley DB, I don't think you could
recover anything from a corrupt database. Plain text will always turn
out better in terms of disaster recovery. If performance is an issue, a
text file can - just like a bdb file - be indexed. Corrupt indexes can
be regenerated, but corrupt databases cannot.

--
 .''`.