Re: Improving dependencies on shared libraries

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 11:02:37PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Right, I read your message too quickly, sorry. However the maintainer
> can change the symbols file in his package and update the dependency
> associated to this symbol and make sure that a binary using this symbol
> will depend on the version used to build the package.

Miss one and you create a whole ****load of bugs. It also presumes the
library maintainer knows enough about libraries to be able to handle
this type of thing, which I do not think is a safe presumption.

> However it might well be some form of micro-management that you don't want
> to have to deal with. And it can't be handled automatically. How
> frequently do we encounter this kind of extension of the ABI ?

Most libraries have a bunch of them on every ABI update.

--
Shaw's Principle:
	Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will