Re: start-stop-daemon for user processes

Warren Turkal <wt@atmos.colostate.edu> writes:
> On Saturday 02 June 2007 23:03, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Could you say more about why not?  It looked to me like you could use
>> its supervise equivalent without the whole init replacement stuff.

> I took a closer look. It looked like the runit wanted to replace init
> entirely.  I don't see how to separate the functionality for running and
> keeping a service started upon user login and stopping it on logout. Do
> you have any suggestions?

The package description says:

 This package does not replace the /sbin/init binary.  To do so you need
 to follow the documentation or install the runit-run package.

and I can install it without any change to the general functionality of
the system other than having runsvdir-start started from init, which is
harmless when your system-wide runit directory is empty.  You can then use
runsvdir to start the programs in any random directory you want, as any
user you want, and use the regular sv command to start and stop them.