Re: discussion with the FSF: GPLv3, GFDL, Nexenta

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 02:53:43PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On ti, 2007-05-22 at 13:30 +0200, Sam Hocevar wrote:
> >     1. The GPLv3: the latest draft did not raise major objections from
> >  -legal and despite its concerns with the strategies developed in some
> >  sections, Debian does consider it DFSG-free. Debian will however not
> >  push for its adoption, mainly because we still have much software that
> >  is GPLv2-only in the distribution.
> Why it that a valid, or even relevant reason to avoid pushing GPLv3?

That's been answered already, but, IMO, a sufficient and better reason
to avoid pushing GPLv3 is just that there's no need for Debian to push
*any* particular free license. As long as its DFSG-free, we don't really
need to care -- we might still offer opinions, but we don't have to go
any further.

Cheers,
aj