Re: ADV: Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:54:03 -0400, Kris Deugau <kdeugau@vianet.ca> said:

> Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 02:51:27PM -0400, Kris Deugau wrote:
>>> (Mildly amusing sidenote to this discussion: I'm finally convincing
>>> the senior systems guy that Packages Are Good, and now developers
>>> for the upstream OS seem to be telling me Packages Are Useless,
>>> because I can't even count on a critical dependency being installed
>>> via the package system.  <g>)
>>
>> ? I don't see that beeing said in the thread. Could you point out
>> that for me?

> Hmm.  Not explicitly stated, nor really implied, but several people
> commented that a system may have backported packages, packages from
> testing/unstable/experimental, software that's installed from source
> and which the package manager is therefore completely unaware of - in
> other words, no matter what you might find in /etc/debian_version or
> some other nominal reference, the configuration and binaries on the
> system may not resemble a stock install of that release at all.

> Taken to the extreme, that leads me to the conclusion that Packages
> Are Useless.  <g> (Taken another couple of steps, it leads to
> "Everyone should be running Linux From Scratch".)

        So, modular systems via packages that allow me to install a
 system according to my desires; in your world make packages useless?
 Upon my word, your logic seems wonderfully .... unique.

        manoj

--
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Author Unknown