Re: Improving dependencies on shared libraries

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 10:09:44PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 26 mai 2007 à 21:06 +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> > Hello,

> > in the list of things that we can do to make it more easy to backport
> > packages, there's one important item: have a finer-grained system for
> > generating dependencies on shared libraries.

> Another important point: such a system would help a lot to obtain lower
> testing migration times, but it would not help backports at all, since
> you still have to rebuild the package against the stable libc.

Some research Scott James Remnant did back in the woody days indicated that
with a more finely-grained shlibs implementation, the majority of packages
could run fine against glibc 2.0.

No such luck with lenny due to the change of symbol hash tables which
now require a recent ld.so to parse, but it'll probably take more than a
full release cycle to get this implemented and widely adopted anyway, so...