Re: discussion with the FSF: GPLv3, GFDL, Nexenta

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 06:27:22PM +0200, Sam Hocevar wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2007, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > >    Because software under the GPLv3 is incompatible with GPLv2-only
> > > software, while "GPLv2 or above" software is compatible with both.
> > Could someone make a page with GPLv2-only software, I'd be curious what
> > would be affected. Maybe the easiest way would be to dump and format a
> > page on the Wiki so that it could be commented upon?
>
>    I have started working on such a page, based on /usr/share/doc
> copyright files rather than source code. There is simply too much
> software for now to do anything else than semi-automatic skimming:
>
>      http://people.zoy.org/~sam/gpl/

To that point, I wondered why there was not some kind simplified symbol
table created for the licenses used: either a numeric or alphanumeric
string. Like 'GPLV1','BSD', etc. with some master table that can be used
and added to when needed. With the intention to create an easily
parsible field so that ascertaining statistics is do-able. And also to
determine how many distinct licenses Debian contains?
Mr. Zoy, Thanks for the license page.
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|