Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

andreimpopescu@gmail.com (Andrei Popescu) writes:

> On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 11:57:42AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
>
>> Joey is, I believe, referring to a healthy level of off-topic
>> discussions on *any* list, not to creating a specific area for
>> "off-topic" messages. For the messages to be "social lubricant", they
>> need to be *interspersed* with the on-topic discussions in a way that
>> doesn't detract from the discussions.
>
> IMHO forcing people to take off-topic discussions out of the forum (read
> Debian community) is not good.

Yes, it is.  I would read -user more frequently that I do if this sort
of rubbish wasn't present.  As it is, I grep the subject headers for
relevent keywords to pick out support requests for my packages--every
few months.  If it wasn't full of junk, I might attempt this more
regularly, but it's currently a waste of my time.

> Debian is based on volunteers and for some contributors (yes,
> answering questions is also a way of contributing, so you - the DDs
> - don't have to do this here) the community might be the thing that
> keeps them here rather then some other project or FOSS in general.

debian-user is a user support list, not a social gathering.  While the
occasional off-topic post might be tolerable, repeatedly offtopic
postings between "regulars" make the list unusable for the people who
it is intended to serve--users.

The same concerns were levelled at the #debian IRC channel a while
back, and there are certain parallels.  I don't monitor that either,
for much the same reasons (though it may have improved since it moved
From FreeNode).

Regards,
Roger

--