Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

Joey Hess wrote:

>I'm writing the listmasters because reading debian-user has become
>nearly unbearable for me (one of the sadly few DDs who bothers to read
>our user lists) due to volume and offensiveness/repetativeness of
>offtopic posts there. I've in the past threatened to leave -user
>entirely, and I have in fact moved a lot of my attention to providing
>support on forums.debian.net[4], but I would prefer that Debian
>articulate a policy of not tolerating this kind of behavior.

Seconded. I'm very close to giving up on debian-user myself due to
this problem. Every now and again I'll skim to see if anybody needs
help with CDs or jigdo or whatever, but the sheer amount of OT dross
is a great discouragement to that. I know it's very likely that I'll
miss questions I could be answering when I *do* have the time to look.

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html