Re: apt-get

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 21:06 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 04:19:28PM -0400, Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> was heard to say:
> > It was really hard for me to switch to using aptitude, but now since I
> > have, I get annoyed when I use apt-get, although I use apt-get regularly
> > on a certain machine. I'd still like to use aptitude, but the person I
> > do the work for won't change.
>
>   Greg,
>
>   Why was it hard for you to switch to aptitude?

Nothing technical. Training of the fingers and a misconception.

Typing "aptitude vs apt-get" was the killer for me. It took me a good
month to get there. Even now I still type "apt-get" once about every 10
times, accidentally.

Early into Woody, I did not like the default actions of aptitude, until
I realized I could fix most of the problems by just realizing the
completeness of options aptitude has vs. apt-get.

Not that I am saying apt-get is a bad tool, just that aptitude is a
drop-in replacement and does everything apt-get does... except MORE, so
much more that I am kicking myself for refusing to use it for so many
years.

I thank the "lot of you", causing me to force fix my fingers. It has
saved me much work in the past while.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C  2003-08-05