Re: Reasons for recommends and suggests

On Thu, May 17, 2007, Kevin Mark wrote:
> What I thought about a while ago was this:
> ---------------
> Package: mutt
> Suggests: ispell [adds spell cheking while composing emails]
> Suggests: urlview [extracts urls from email and can lanuch a web browser]
> Suggests: mixmaster [allows you to compose anonymized email]
> -------------
> I'd see the maintainer create (or a user contribute)  a 'short
> description' to accompany each suggest and recommends that is displayed
> $SOMEWHERE.  So that the user can not just see a list of suggestions but
> a real reason as to why you'd want to install them.

 I find your proposed extension of the format of control headers very
 inspiring; perhaps it makes sense to spec an extension to this format
 to permit various transversal information to be stored.

 Other header based formats/protocols such as HTTP or RFC 2822 permit
 things like:

        protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx"
 or:

 but I don't see any similar way of attaching meta-information to lists
 in a single header; your solution would be one (which is already used
 for architecture information unfortunately), another one could be:

    Suggests: mixmaster?description="allows%20anonymizing%20emails",
        urlview?description="extracts%20urls%20from%20email"&priority=10

--
Loïc Minier