Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 01:12:30PM +0200, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 May 2007, Mgr. Peter Tuharsky wrote:
> > > Do you realize Debian's stable is classified as this:
> > >
> > >         Stable means stable package list. No changes in API and ABI
> > >         names or versions. This means no newer versions will ever make
> > >         it into "stable". It is in "maintenance mode". This makes a
> > > very good setup for those wishing for "Rock Solid" machines. Doesn't
> > > crash. "too many" comes from the "Windows World", does not typically
> > > apply to Debian's Linux.
> >
> > No changes, no newer versions => dosen't crash? It's simply not true.
> > For example, the Debian Woody used an ancient version of Mozilla. _Very_
> > crashy one, compared with newer versions that came few months later.
> > Noone could call that "stable" one.
>
> you're still missing the point here:
> - the point is _not_ that software in stable isn't buggy
> - the point is that software in stable doesn't change
>    -> this ensures that it won't be buggy in new ways
>    	=> thus making sure that what works, keeps working
> 	=> thus making sure that ones you have a workaround, that keeps working to
>
> In short stable is about not getting any unexpected surprises/changes in how
> software behaves.
I'd also say that because there are no unexpected surprises/change for a
predictable about of time (about 18 months) ,it is 'supportable' by
commercial/non-commercial entities. This is what corporate users,
embedded users, etc. want. For single users laptop users, maybe they can
choose to have less-than 'stable' aka 'unstable' which has a constant
stream of new updates to get support for current/newer hardware.
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|