Did the number of installations really increase by a half in one month?

In "The number of etch installations is rocketing" Joey Hess linked to a
useful graph showing the evolution of the number of installations reporting
to popcon:
http://popcon.debian.org/stat/sub-i386.png

Petter Reinholdtsen was wondering how long the rate of increase would keep up,
and it seems the rate is getting back to normal now, after an increase of
about a half in one month. This is probably material for some kind of
announcement, but I would like to verify if I'm missing something. Does this
graph reveal an increase of installations by about a half in one month? Or
did the proportion of installations reporting to popcon increase
significantly?