Re: Wrapper to download databases (was: Sharing a subdirectory of /usr/share between multiple packages ?)

Le Tue, May 08, 2007 at 09:39:23AM +0200, Michael Hanke a écrit :
> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 09:08:36AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > In the Debian-Med project, we started to package a bioinformatic
> > analysis suite - EMBOSS - which exploits local or remote sequence
> > databases (read-only). When they are small (a few megaoctets), we are
> > considering pacakging them. But in the case of much bigger ones
> > (gigabytes), we will use wrappers.
> I'm curious: What kind of wrappers are you using?

Hi Michael,

The wrappers are not designed yet, but I was thinking of something
similar to the realplayer wrapper, which allows to input a path to a
manually downloaded file. But I will definitely have a look to your
wrappers :)

For Peter: upstream is big (168 000 000 Google hits), but I will try to
contact them. However, I think it is safer to assume that we need an
alternative solution. Symbolic links can definitely do the trick.

Thanks everybody for your input. I will use /usr/share/biodata.

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org