Re: Thoughts on distributing virtual machine images to promote Debian

Michael Hanke wrote:
> Therefore I'd like to ask whether you think that it would be
> reasonable for Debian to provide a virtual machine image with the
> most recent stable release that can be customized to perform a specific
> task on a win32 machine?

I completely fail to see why a VM image /inside/ debian (as in a debian
package) could be of any benefit to a win32 user. Windows does not
support to install debian packages out of an apt repositories as of now.

Assumed, it would be usefull for win32 users, I see two problems:

  * space: a reasonable VM images would be way beyond 100mb, that's to
    big.

  * security: Given that such a VM image package would be part
    of a stable release; one would need to update it all the time for
    every security update.

So, I think this is not so a good idea.

However, if I were you, I would try to get that image of yours either
into the vmware markedplace[0] or to oszoo[1].

Regards,
Daniel

[0] http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/
[1] http://www.oszoo.org/