Re: Use bz2 not gz for orig.tar ?

According to the benchmarks in http://www.linuks.mine.nu/sizematters/ , the size of the archive would be nearly 30% smaller, but the decompression would be 5 times slower, meaning that it would take 500% the time it takes now to uncompress the archives. Compression time would be 10 times more (1000% the time it takes now). I wonder if that would be suitable for smaller systems.

Greetings,
Miry

2007/4/12, Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com>:
On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 12:12:00PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> Do we have plans for lenny to enable the use of bzip2 instead of gzip
> for the upstream orig.tar source tarballs?  Does dpkg/apt support this
> already or has this already been thought about?
>
> This would reduce our archive size by some 20% if all packages moved to
> bzip2.

Why not lzma?  It reduces size even more and doesn't suffer from the "all our
code belongs to propietary programs" licensing curse.

  http://www.linuks.mine.nu/sizematters/

  (look for p7zip here; same algorithm, different implementation)

It can be used for data.tar as well.  The dpkg shipped in etch had support for
unpacking it, so technicaly we can do it.