Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 11:07:09PM +0100, Luis Matos wrote:
> Most people and main developpers only know windows' tools for
> development, that's for sure.
>
> I am currently developping an industrial application for windows and
> linux, because i forced the use of gtk (so i can develop and run it on
> linux), but my boss is forcing me to only develop in and for windows,
> because it is the OS that everybody uses ...
> It doesn't matter if there is a dependence on windows, if there re other
> better oeses ... many industrial tools are developped in visual
> basic ... things like CNC software controlers.
>
> Can linux and opensource OS compete with the facility to develop in
> windows?

I can't stand visual studio.  It drives me nuts.  It makes it so hard to
figure out what is going on and wants to get in the way of everything.
Give me plain simple makefiles and source code files I can edit
(preferably with vim) and I can actually get some work done.  I don't
like development tools that magically do stuff without telling you and
without really letting you change the behaviour if the magic didn't
actually do what you wanted.

I think unfortunately GUI tools let people think they know what they are
doing, and makes them think they know how to program.  For a large
portion of those users, they really don't know what they are doing
(especially when visual basic gets involved), and end up writing
unmaintainable bloated crap with many dumb bugs.

Of course you can write unmaintainable bloated crap with vim and
makefiles too, but at least you have to do a bit of work, not just click
pretty buttons.

--
Len Sorensen