Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

[Luis Matos]
> CATIA has unix versions ... i don't really know if they will ever
> have linux versions.

I'd be pretty surprised if they ever did.  The CATIA 4 architecture
would have fit Linux very well, if Dassault had seen a market for it
back then (it was based on Motif, OpenGL and a huge Fortran/C API
available for extensions - yes, F77, including those 6-char function
names), but CATIA 5 is all about VB scripting, data interchange with
Excel, stuff like that.  The Unix port runs on a Windows emulation
toolkit of some sort, and truly is a second-class port - last I tried
it, at least, it felt very Windowsy and very slow.  Even assuming the
toolkit is available for Linux, I can't see anyone getting excited
about deploying CATIA that way.  I had the distinct impression that
Dassault would like for interest in the Unix port to dwindle away so
they wouldn't have to bother.