Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

Jean-Christophe Dubacq <jcdubacq1@free.fr> wrote:

> My point is: do what Debian must, but do not consider breaking
> commercial software lightly, and do not think that freedom is all what
> is required by some well-known target audience such as universities.
> Tolerance is as great a value (in some contexts).

It's even in our constitution that our priorities are *both* our Users
and Free Software, and it's in the first clause that "We will support
people who create or use both free and non-free works on Debian."

There might be technical problems, which should be named, discussed and
resolved - but I think it's beyond doubt that we will not intentionally
drop support for things like Maple. Or even Mathematica, which
approximately 20 years of development ahead of Maple ;-)

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)