Re: Pushing multi-arch media (Re: blockers for 64-bit adoption)

Hi!

* Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> [070409 10:00]:

> > I think we should push the multi-arch media. Particularly, the
> > x86/amd64/powerpc one can boot something like 99% of all the hardware
> > debian will ever run on, without the user having to care about what arch
> > his PC or Mac is, since the media detects the most appropriate one.
> IIRC Frans had some objections to tell everyone "that is it". But of
> course, this media is a great step forward.

The multiarch media still has a small problem:  for i386/amd64 they are
no "fire and forget" thing;  you still need to find out if you have an
amd64 compatible system and start the amd64 boot process by hand.

It would be really cool, if that could be autodetected... but I don't
know how that could be done.

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander