Re: MySql broken on older 486 and other cpuid less CPUs. Does this qualify as RC?

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 06:59:16PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> My 486 actually does a useful job, and hence usually runs pure stable.
> I figured I would upgrade it to see if anything broken, and boy did it
> ever break.  It is a good old reliable machine and the only 486 I have.
> I guess loosing proftpd and php isn't the worst things that can happen,
> although I do like my ftp server to work, as well as my web server.  At
> least I know have a fixed version installed so my machine works.
>
> Maybe I am the only person left with a 486 doing useful work, but it has
> run problem free for 15 years now and shows no signs of giving any.
> Hopefully I will replace the 486 with a ppro in the next few months, in
> which case the 486 will become available for me to just do tests on and
> other experiments.

I guess I can add that given the mysql was the only real problem I
encountered upgrading, Etch looks to be in pretty darn good shape.  The
other minor problems was the netscape navigator 4.77 packages breaking
the x.org /usr/X11R6 upgrade.  I didn't realize they were still
installed.  I guess starting out with Debian 2.1, and upgrading over the
years you end up with a bit of garbage left installed.  I should check
for obsolete packages and clean them out more often.  Thanks to all the
great maintainers that have made it possible to never have to reinstall
in 8 years of service.

--
Len Sorensen